Google defines solitude as the state or situation of being
alone. But every other person who doesn't sit alone and enjoys a cup of coffee
thinks its being lonely. Solitude is a choice, a ‘me time’ that all of us deserve.
My choice of place is the café coffee day
near the Taj hotel in New Delhi. In the winters, when very few people get
up early in the morning, I choose to sit there and be alone, away from the
buzzing city. It is not just a time for self introspection, nothing that deep, just a place to be thankful for the delightful
winter after the scorching heat. My kind of lazy day starts with the first
coffee at CCD and listening to some good music. Each person has his own place
of being alone. A bathroom singer chooses the shower, a gym freak has the gym,
a speed lover goes for a ride and a coffee lover like me goes to a café.
My friends believe that its boring but what they don’t understand
is that, not always one looks for an adventure. It is alright to be still for a
while and admire the season, feeling alive, even when not laughing and
screaming. I sit there expressionless, earphones plugged in and fall in love
with ‘nothing else matters’ by Metallica over and over again. The coffee smell,
to me the most erotic fragrance and the cold breeze making my nose red, the
high point of my day. The luxurious cars passing by, into the Taj distract me
though, but I don’t mind that. After all, a Mercedes is always a treat to the
eyes.
I have never tried writing though. I believe I might get
good ideas and content. But have definitely studied for my semester exams. Putting
the phone into silent mode and rolling up my sleeves I would begin my syllabus.
A little while later, the place would start to fill up with students like me,
giving each other hi fives. I would always bunk my first lecture in my college
and observe people, a group of chirpy girls showing off their new bags and the
guys being like ‘whats up bro!’.But if you sit there for long, you would be
able to make a clear distinction between the seniors and the freshers. While the
seniors are focusing on the menu, the younger crowd is worried about the next
lecture.
A few joggers would pass by too, confused if they should
come inside and rest for a bit or run another mile. You could actually notice
the dilemma on their face. By this time I am in a song switching mode and have
ordered for the next round of coffee. Phone begins to ring and my hello meets
with a ‘where are you? Come soon to the class’. Hurrying up with my coffee is
probably the last thing I would do. Finally, it is time to leave and join the
others.
I always knew I would miss my college days but I didn’t realize
until a few months back that I would miss the place where I would be alone the
most.
No comments:
Post a Comment