It is so difficult to come up with an idea or a plot to
write. I have always been very convinced that great thoughts just come to you
like BAM! But nothing like that has happened to me yet. Whatever I come up with
has already been written or filmed. Even the simplest plot of a boy and a girl
is so tiring to write. What can I possibly bring something new to a love story
that has not already been told? Although, the critically acclaimed are the ones
where one of the two dies, but I like a happy ending. Endings are not always
shiny and dreamy in the three dimensional life, but stories are the only place
where one can fantasies happiness. I feel
like, all the great things are already written and told. So whatever today we
think, it has a reference point to the past. Although Romeo and Juliet is not
my favorite love story in the world, but whenever there is a parental
interference in the story, we know where that is coming from. Also the romance today has changed its process;
texting ILU is somehow more popular than the physical presence, especially
among teenagers. Anyway, I personally have always been a fan of a plot where
the girl and the boy are best friends, initially not realizing what they
actually mean to each other and one day when the girl is out with a bad boy,
the jealous best friend shows up and pours his heart out. It sounds mawkishly
sentimental but in the end everyone wants to find somebody and not die alone. I
am not ashamed to accept that I am a Bollywood enthusiast, and hence I make
myself believe that it’s not love if you cannot hear a song being played at the
background on your first date. I think I got carried away, snapping out of it
now. Even if the songs are not there and the wind doesn’t blow, if it’s love,
perhaps one might still go into a trance state of mind. And it would not be the
worst thing if a real life love story actually turned out to be like one of the
Hindi cinemas. Still I would like to make one change, maybe the guy can drop
the attitude and the girl can stop being a damsel in distress, opposite
attracts is an overrated statement. I absolutely do not mind the Hero hitting
six villains alone though, it has no logic but who doesn’t like chivalry?
Moving on, people will hate me for this but I am not
impressed by dilwale dulhaniya le jayenge.
It is partially because of Amrish puri’s character portraying an over
protective know it all father and Kajol’s character playing too good to be true
Hindustani ladki having boundaries as
if Indian girls don’t have a life, and mostly because of the hypocrisy about London being an
uncultured city even though it gave the family it’s bread and butter. Baldev
singh stayed in the city for over two decades and never thought of going back
to Punjab, but the day Simran confesses her love for Raj, he decides to sell
off everything and move back to India.
There are things I love about the film too, example; a very dependable lover who asks Simran to
trust him that he will take care of everything. The very sweet Farida Jalal
playing Kajol’s mother. The loud fun loving Punjabi family, and my most
favorite DDLJ character Anupam kher playing Shahrukh Khan’s Father. And I definitely
enjoyed watching Karan Johar as one of Raj’s friends. It is true that you
cannot get bored during the entire film, there is something always happening.
Whatever one may think about this film, it will always remain an inspiration
for the upcoming Hindi love stories, and it has been the most loved love story
since 1995.
The world is a better place because of these not so logical
love stories, for some it is a hope to find somebody just like Raj and for
others something to laugh about. Either way it is entertaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment